Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dirty Dirty Dish Rag



Have you ever gone to pull out a newly washed, dried and folded dish rag, held it to your nose and taken a deep breath expecting it to smell of Tide only to find your dish cloth smelling like Old Faithful? Then, a little annoyed, you pull out another and another only to find the same unpleasant odor permeating each of your laundered dish cloths? You quickly choose one of the cloths, SLAM the drawer shut and wipe down your kitchen anyway... Come on you KNOW what I'm talking about!

I love to cook in a clean kitchen. A clean kitchen to me, is like a blank canvas to an artist. It's a must! There can be no dirty dishes in the sink, no crumbs on the counter the stove must have no remnants of a previous meal plastered onto it. To me, CLEAN dish rags are a must to prime my kitchen for any meal I will be preparing. Dirty dish rags are a breading ground for germs and all things nasty.

SO... this is what I do to keep my rags FRESH and clean:

1-I buy my rags in bulk and I replace them about every 6 months. (You can find inexpensive bulk packs at Walmart)

2-I have a mop bucket under my sink. After each use I toss the rag in the bucket (I never use a rag for more than 1 day. Many times I will only use a rag for one meal clean-up.)

3-Every couple of days, I will dump my rag bucket into the washer then wash the rags in HOT water using laundry soap and BLEACH (according to the "laundry" directions). Then the rags are tossed into the drier until they are completely dry.

and PRESTO CHANGO! I have fresh rags that will keep my kitchen nice and clean!



I am going to get off my soap box now and go take care of my sick children... REST ASSURED! They did not get sick because of a germ ridden dish rag!

-The Domestic Diva

2 comments: