Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pie Crust For Dummies












Hi, My name is Shalece fiack and I am a pie crust-aholic. Up until about 2 years ago I was scared to death to make pie crust because whenever I did, it would be too dry and fall apart before it made it into the pie pan. I shed many a tear over tried and FAILED attempts at making pie crust.
One day when we were living in Seattle, my friend Lauriann D. brought me a BEAUTIFUL blackberry pie whose crust was the a picture of perfection. She offered to show me how to make this FOOL PROOF crust! I was skeptical at first, but it really is as easy as she said it was. This crust has worked beautifully every time I make it and I have filled it with a number of different things! Here is just one of the many things you could do with this crust. My favorite part about it is that it doesn't CRISCO! Give it a try! I hope you will be as pleased with it as I have been!


Pie Crust

2 Cups flour
1 Tsp Salt
2/3 Cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup Ice water


In a large bowl mix flour and salt together then and add the vegetable oil and ice water. Mix with a fork until just combined. You will want to mix handle the dough as little as possible. Divide the mixture into 2 balls and put your bowl in the freezer for about 5 min. Roll each ball out between 2 pieces of wax paper. When you have one of the crusts rolled out, take off the top layer of wax paper and take the bottom piece (with the crust on it) and turn it over in your pie plate. Peel the wax paper off (the crust should be big enough to have about 1/4 inch hanging over the side of the pan. Fill with your favorite pie filling then place the other rolled out dough on the top (using the same method of rolling between the wax paper as you did on the bottom crust). Trim extra crust from around the edges and press the edges of the crust down with a fork our using your thumbs. Poke some holes in the top with a fork. Place pie on a baking sheet in the center of a preheated oven and bake according to your pie filling directions. ENJOY!!!

Below I have posted pictures of mini strawberry jam pies. These would be great for after-school snacks, a fancy dessert to serve company or just to satisfy a sweet tooth!

I rolled out the dough between wax paper and then used a 3" cookie cutter and got 12 circles out of each ball of dough. Put 1 TBSP strawberry jam in the center then placed the other 12 circles on top and pressed around the edges with a fork. Sprinkle with sugar and bake in a 375 degree oven and bake for 10 min. YUMMY!

-The Domestic Diva

7 comments:

  1. LOVE it! That was a fun day! The little pies look so cute, I will have to try them! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save all your recipies! I think you could also make the pie crusts into shapes if you could find the right size cookie cutters. (IE hearts for valentines day!) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    Lauriann! I thank you and curse you every time I make this recipe! Soooo good. Fun times! I'm so thankful you took the time to teach me! BTW, your blackberry pie is heaven on earth!!!
    Mel, that is a great idea! I am gonna go get some heart cutters and do some for school teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. say what???? no crisco??? oh I have gots to give this a try yo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this would be fun to premake for a campout and fill with marshmallows, chocolate chips and bananas or cinnamon and peaches. I bet it would work tin foil dinner style. um yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. also a great recipe for noodles (home made chicken noodle soup) just roll them flat and use a pizza cutter to cut into strips.

    ReplyDelete