Friday, February 4, 2011

Inside My Fridge...






Since we are getting to know each other now, I think it's time I introduced you to my fridge! Don't be afraid! Today is "shopping list/food inventory/fridge wipe out day"! I can't stand having messy, nasty fridge (for very long), so here is how I keep mine clean and organized.

Baskets! I have 2 metal baskets (purchased from IKEA) and then some smaller dollar store baskets. I leave the top shelf open for bottles of milk, pickles, egg whites, sauerkraut and whatnot.

My second shelf has a metal basket that have 2 smaller dollar store baskets inside. This shelf is reserved for meat and dairy products. I keep cheeses in one of the small baskets and then lunch meats in the other small basket.

The bottom shelf basket is reserved for bread, eggs and left-overs. Every Friday I take the baskets out and wipe the shelfs down with a dish cloth. then I organize the items in the baskets. Any left-overs that have been in the fridge for 3 or more days get donated to Oscar the Grouch. I see what I am getting low on in the meat/dairy department and put it on my shopping list. The baskets are put back in the fridge and that's it! I also go through my fruit/veggie drawer which is usually almost empty as I only purchase fruit/veggies I need for my menu plan. I hate to see produce go bad! Occasionally I will find something nasty in there, but I clean it out weekly so it is never vomit inducing.

I keep an open box of baking soda in the door of the fridge to keep things smelling fresh.

Hope you all have a FANTASTIC weekend!

-The Domestic Diva

5 comments:

  1. This is genius. When did you get those baskets at IKEA?? I'm thinking a road trip to my local(ish) IKEA might be in order....

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally inspired me to clean my fridge inside, outside and even underneath! it's amazing what treasures collect under the fridge and stove!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found them in the closet organization section. They came with a metal frame (It was supposed to be drawers) and 3 baskets for $19. I got them while we were living in Seattle last year. They are sooooo handy! Hope you can find them. When you go to your IKEA, could you eat some Swedish meatballs for me? No IKEA within 3 hours of us :(. This is both a blessing and a curse...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is about time the tables have turned, Jessie, because YOU are the one always inspiring me! I ADORE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, love the pic that has the valentines tin in it!! :)

    ReplyDelete